This is a facilitated working session to continue previous collaborations towards the Longmont Smart City initiative.
Grass roots efforts to develop Smart Cities are many. But to achieve lasting success requires a pathway with commitment from key stakeholders. For that to happen, there must be a clearly articulated and accepted Smart City Vision, Strategy and Plan, with appropriate backing to guide and shape real policies and actions.
Join us at this Meetup to contribute to developing the Smart City initiative for Longmont. We will start by building upon previous learnings, understanding of the landscape, important efforts already under way and leverage what is happening regionally, nationally and globally to help craft our vision of what a Smart City means for Longmont.
5:00 PM – Welcome and Intros (as needed)
5:15 PM – Recap
5:30 PM – Tactics
• What is a smart city (definitions, misconceptions, or the just plain wrong)
• What is important to us, and our city
• Lets craft a vision of a Tomorrow’s Longmont
6:30 PM – Topic for Discussion
Challenges to Smart City adoption and buy-in by the people:
• Funding: How do we obtain funding and investment to create the necessary digital infrastructure?
• Lack of Interest: How do we establish good governance and increase people participation?
• Illiteracy: To reap the benefits of e-governance, what is needed to increase e-literacy with our residents?
7:10 PM – Wrap Up
We invite research links to be posted ahead of the Meetup to help informed discussion, and highly encourage everyone to review the following resources ahead of the meetup.
– Smart Cities and the Internet of Everything: http://smartcitiescouncil.com/system/tdf/public_resources/Smart%20cities%20and%20the%20Internet%20of%20Everything.pdf?file=1&type=node&id=600
– Smart Cities – A Futuristic Vision: https://www.smartscities.com/en/articles/smart-cities-futuristic-vision
– Birmingham’s Smart City – Commission Vision: http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/digitalbirmingham/resources/Birminghams-Smart-City-Commission-Vision-FINAL-VERSION.pdf
– Barcelona’s Smart City Vision – An opportunity for transformation: https://factsreports.revues.org/pdf/4367
– San Jose, CA – Smart City Vision: http://www.sanjoseca.gov/index.aspx?nid=5289
Thanks to our Sponsors, this meetup is Free to the Public and all are welcome to attend.
If you are interested in sponsoring the Smart City Initiatives Meetup, please post a message to the Organizers.
P.S. We are starting early to accommodate key attendees, but we will continue until 7:30 to help everyone who needs to travel from work.